Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Childlike Faith.

This afternoon I watched a curious toddler wander around the prayer room here in Kona, Hawaii.  My eyes were fixated on this child, knowing that the Lord wanted to teach me something through her.  I could tell from her unsteady steps she was just learning how to walk.  I was in awe of how adorable she looked when she would walk aimlessly with an epic smile on her face, almost as if she was saying, "Dad, look at me...watch me!"  She would take about five steps and then go tumbling down.  What surprised me was that most kids would cry after biting it that hard, but this tough cookie got right back up, with an ear-to-ear grin and was right back on her path to her destination. 

I sat back and took a good look at my journey with the Lord.  I've taken a good amount of falls myself,  resulting in a few bruises and scars.  My revelation from watching this little girl came when I watched her dad's reaction every time she would fall.  He obviously didn't enjoy watching his precious daughter go tumbling down and a few times I even saw him wince as she hit the ground.  No matter where she was when she fell, she would immediately find his eyes in the room to look for his encouragement and approval.  She knew not to look anywhere else.  At her age she doesn't know any better but to find her identity in her daddy's love and in his eyes.

I realized that her dad could have easily held her hand the whole time so she wouldn't fall, but without those collapses she will never learn how to walk on her own.  God will always be there to pick us up when we fall.  He doesn't laugh at us.  His heart is filled with compassion.  Right away He extends His hand to us, helps us back up, dusts us off, and sets our feet on solid ground once more. 

There will be times in our journey when God holds our hand every step of the way.  It's US who push His hand away.  It's us who say, "No, I don't need your help...I can do it on my own."  I know I've smacked His hand away plenty of times, and He is such a gentleman.  He patiently waits for us.  One thing is for sure...HE NEVER STOPS PURSUING US!!!

Psalm 40:1-2
"I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire.  He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along."

No comments:

Post a Comment